Mata & Asociados has achieved a reputation as having one of Mexico’s leading tax practices. The tax group’s sophisticated practice stems from its client base. Our tax clients include several multinational companies.The Tax Practice Group at Mata & Asociados provides tax planning and advice to clients on federal, state, local and international tax matters, including assistance with tax rulings, tax audits and appeals to tax agencies and the courts. We work closely with clients and their accountants to reduce taxes associated with business activities and significant transactions, and in the areas of tax review, compliance, reporting and controversy.
International Tax Practice
Mata & Asociados has considerable expertise in dealing with the tax consequences of business or investment transactions that cross international borders. Members of the Tax Group are actively involved in advising foreign companies on structuring their business activities so as to minimize Mexican taxation. The firm also regularly advises clients on the tax consequences of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures taking place within Mexican borders.
Inbound: The Tax Practice Group advises on the Mexican tax consequences related to establishing, conducting, or terminating business activities in Mexico. Selection of business entities, repatriation strategies, capitalization, and commercial operation concerns are part of the tax assistance provided to foreign owners.
Outbound: Our lawyers assist clients to structure operations and make effective use of treaties to reduce the complexity and tax cost of doing business outside Mexico. We work with clients to address such matters as withholding taxes, anti-tax haven rules, foreign tax credits, and maquiladora related tax issues.
- Provide advice on Mexico’s anti-tax haven regulations.
- Representation in litigation before Mexico’s Tax Court and Federal Courts.
- Provide advice on tax issues arising from cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
- Profit repatriation strategies and tax efficient investment exit strategies.
- Legal advice on tax efficient investment vehicles to enter the Mexican market.
- Structure compliance programs to prevent the violation of Mexico’s transfer pricing regulations.
- Provide advice on value added tax issues regarding temporary exportations or importations.
- Provide advice on international estate planning.